The Nokomis East Neighborhood Association (NENA) is hiring a half-time Program and Communication Manager. This position will lead the organization’s advertisement and communication initiatives in Housing, Commercial, Green Initiatives and Neighborhood Development. Also, this position will develop and implement a coordinated communications plan.
NENA’s mission is to better the quality of life and build a sense of community pride by sponsoring actions which help our environment, businesses and homes. Our growing nonprofit organization serves the southeast Minneapolis neighborhoods of Keewaydin, Minnehaha, Morris Park and Wenonah. Our goals are to promote neighborhood improvement and revitalization, and to encourage citizen participation in civic affairs.
The Program and Communication Manager will be responsible, along with the Executive Director, Community Organizer, Board and Committees, in implementing NENA’s programmatic and communications strategies. NENA is seeking a highly-skilled candidate to join our neighborhood team who shares our passion and commitment to community-driven initiatives and place-based planning.
Job Type: Half-time flexible schedule with very occasional weeknights and weekends.
Salary: $24,000 – $26,000, depending on candidate qualifications and experience.
Benefits: Include generous PTO, health and dental insurance, matching retirement plan and training opportunities.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
The ideal applicant will be a self-starter, organized, have strong interpersonal skills and demonstrate creativity and innovation in program management, communications and community outreach.
Communications (55%): NENA tells our story and promotes our community. Manage coordinated communications work plan including social media, community newsletter and graphic design needs; monthly column content creation for local newspapers; develop a long-term communications strategy. Serve as staff support to NENA committees and volunteers. Demonstrate innovation and creativity in a cohesive, effective communications plan.
Community Outreach (15%): Support annual NENA and neighborhood events and activities. Identify opportunities to collaborate on outreach initiatives. Act as a community liaison for residents and businesses to access information and resources from government, private and nonprofit programs.
Program Management (15%): NENA creates programming based upon the ideas and solutions generated by our community. Manage and grow existing NENA programs informed by the Strategic Plan in the key areas of Housing, Commercial, Green Initiatives and Engagement. Serve as staff support to NENA committees and volunteers. Program partners include the City of Minneapolis; schools, parks, library, businesses and business association; housing and community development nonprofits; and environmental stewardship organizations.
Strategic Partnerships (10%): Provide staff support to strategic partners across multiple sectors and issues including housing and livability; commercial and streetscape; green initiatives; and other issues as identified by the neighborhood.
Administrative Tasks (5%): Perform miscellaneous administrative tasks including written reporting activities, filling out timesheets, printing, copying, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Excellent personal accountability, self-motivation and follow through skills.
- Outstanding written and verbal skills.
- Experience with, and commitment to community-based work.
- Open and flexible, plus demonstrated experience working with diverse constituencies including by age, gender, race, ethnicity and income levels.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and other basic computing skills.
- Access to transportation to attend meetings outside of the neighborhood.
- Communications: 2+ years paid and/or volunteer experience, including: Coordinated work plan for communications strategy; Printed newsletters (design, content creation, editing, vendor management and distribution); E-Communications (bi-weekly e-newsletter, website content, social media and e-forums); Organizational storytelling and creative content; Design, layout and production of materials including, flyers, program information, neighborhood welcome packet and annual report. Marketing and promotion; Event and meeting planning; Volunteer management; Staff liaison; and Financial oversight and budgeting.
- Proficiency with design software programs, and/or ability to learn.
- Experience with marketing and branding.
- Experience promoting large public events.
- Experience in graphic design and Adobe Illustrator.
- Experience with Housing, Commercial, Community Development and/or Green Initiatives programs.
- Experience building and working in coalitions, partnerships and collaborative relationships.
- Experience with grant writing and individual fundraising campaigns.
- Proficiency in Spanish and/or Somali.
- Experience in creating content for audiences with limited English skills.
How to Apply
Email cover letter, resume, three references and three work samples highlighting skills in program management and/or communications to email@example.com by October 3rd, 2022, by 11:59pm. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. Application packets should be PDF files. No phone calls please.
NENA is an equal opportunity employer. NENA will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, immigration status, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, language, housing status, economic status, religion or religious creed, disability or handicap, sex or gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, criminal record, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.