NENA is pleased to offer again its Home Security Matching Rebates for homeowners, renters, and residential property owners in the four Nokomis East neighborhoods of Keewaydin, Minnehaha, Morris Park, and Wenonah.
PLEASE NOTE: NENA will not reimburse items purchased prior to a rebate application being submitted and approved.
Grant Amounts: Eligible participants can apply for up to $500 in matching grant funds. This is a one-to-one matching grant and a rebate/ reimbursement project.
Eligible Projects: Examples of eligible improvements may include, but are not limited to:
- Steel exterior doors
- Security storm doors
- Deadbolt locks and security strike plates on exterior doors
- Reinforcement of windows within 3.5 feet of a door lock with grillwork or polycarbonate
- Grillwork or glass block for basement or garage windows
- Exterior dusk-to-dawn or motion lights
- Window pins for double-hung windows and slide guards for sliding door/windows
- Alarm system installation
- Exterior security cameras
- Alley lighting
- Installation for labor performed by a non-applicant professional
- City permits required by the City of Minneapolis
Ineligible Expenses: Examples of ineligible improvements may include, but are not limited to:
- Ongoing maintenance, monitoring, and operational costs of security improvements
- Bars on basement or garage windows
- Landscaping (plants, trees, flowers, gardening, sod, landscape service, etc.)
- Installation or labor performed by the applicant homeowner, tenant, or property owner
- Maintenance or replacement costs for security items already installed
Eligibility: The property must be located in the Keewaydin, Minnehaha, Morris Park, or Wenonah neighborhoods. Nokomis East homeowners and property owners of 1-4 unit multi-family properties are eligible to participate in the project. NENA staff may support renters to work with their landlord to apply.
An individual property may receive one NENA grant within a 36-month period. (NENA Grants/Loans include Curb Appeal, Home Security, Staying Place Grants, Home Loan, etc.). Subsequent applications cannot cover the same or similar projects funded in previous applications.
Selection Process: This is a first-come, first-served project. If the requests are greater than the amount available for the project, NENA will start a waitlist.
Application Process: In the application process, eligible participants are required to submit a project budget and cost estimates, and submit “before” photos. Applications without photos will be considered incomplete and will not have a spot reserved.
- Online Application
- Downloadable Application – Return by email/scan is preferred to mailing
Once NENA reviews and approves an application, NENA staff will email a Participant Contract, and work can begin. PLEASE NOTE: NENA will not reimburse any expenses incurred prior to the contract start date.
The participant will have up to 120 days from the contract date to complete the project. If the project is not completed within the timeframe, the contract is voided and no reimbursement will be issued. The applicant in this situation may reapply for the project after 12 months from the date the initial contract is voided.
Rebate Payment Process: Participants are required to submit itemized receipts for all work and purchases, proof of payment, and submit “after” photos. NENA staff will determine if the expenses are eligible for reimbursement based upon funding source restrictions, the signed contract requirements, and the dates of service and purchases.
Example: The homeowner applied with an estimated project total of $300. The final actual cost of the project was $250. The homeowner pays all expenses and then submits a Reimbursement Request Form to NENA. Once the request is approved, NENA will mail a check for $125 (half of the estimated or actual cost, whichever is lower). This is a $1 to $1 matching program. The applicant will incur at least half of the cost of the project.
NENA will not increase the reimbursement if the total cost of the project exceeds the requested amount in the contract. NENA staff may also determine the property owner did not match 50% of the total cost of the project and may reduce the amount of the reimbursement.
- Online Rebate Request Form
- Downloadable Rebate Request Form – Return by email/scan is preferred to mailing
In the application, you will be asked to agree to the following project guidelines.
- I understand that NENA will review my application and if approved, will email a contract. No work may begin until the contract is emailed by NENA. From the date of the contract, I have 120 days to complete my project. If I do not, the funding will be returned to the pool and I will not be eligible to re-apply after 12 months. Within the 60 days, I will keep NENA informed of my progress. If I do not think I can complete my project, I will notify NENA as soon as possible, so that funding can be used by another neighbor.
- I understand that this a reimbursement program. I will not receive payment until I have completed the project and submitted the Reimbursement Form. Additionally, I will submit: 1) Copies of all receipts/invoices 2) Proof of Payment (canceled checks/credit card, etc) and 3) “After” photos. I understand that this must be submitted within 120 days of the contract. I understand that it may take up to 30 days for NENA to process my request, get checks processed, signed, and mailed.
- I understand that I pay all expenses upfront. I understand this is a $1 to $1 matching program. I am responsible for half, and possibly more of the cost of the project. For example: if the total cost of my project is over $1,000, my responsibility will be more than 50% of the project. NENA’s reimbursement is capped at $500. I understand the reimbursement amount is based on half of the estimated or actual cost, whichever is lower. I understand the following two reimbursement calculation scenarios. 1) I applied with an estimated project total of $300, and the final actual cost of the project was $250. Once my reimbursement request is approved, NENA will mail a check for $125. 2) I applied with an estimated project total of $400, and the final actual cost of the project was $450. Once my reimbursement request is approved, NENA will mail a check for $200.
Questions? Please contact NENA at email@example.com or (612) 724-5652.