NENA is pleased to offer again its Home Security Rebates project for homeowners, renters, and residential property owners in the four Nokomis East neighborhoods of Keewaydin, Minnehaha, Morris Park, and Wenonah.
PLEASE NOTE: NENA will not reimburse items purchased prior to a rebate application being submitted and approved.
Grant Amounts: Eligible participants can apply for up to $500 in matching grant funds. This is a one-to-one matching grant and a rebate/ reimbursement project.
Eligible Projects: Examples of eligible improvements may include, but are not limited to:
- Steel exterior doors
- Security storm doors
- Deadbolt locks and security strike plates on exterior doors
- Reinforcement of windows within 3.5 feet of a door lock with grillwork or polycarbonate
- Grillwork or glass block for basement or garage windows
- Exterior dusk-to-dawn or motion lights
- Window pins for double-hung windows and slide guards for sliding door/windows
- Alarm system installation
- Exterior security cameras
- Alley lighting
- Installation for labor performed by a non-applicant professional
- City permits required by the City of Minneapolis
- Ongoing maintenance, monitoring, and operational costs of security improvements
- Bars on basement or garage windows
- Landscaping (plants, trees, flowers, gardening, sod, landscape service, etc.)
- Installation for labor performed by the applicant homeowner, tenant, or property owner
- Maintenance or replacement costs for security items already installed
Eligibility: The property must be located in the Keewaydin, Minnehaha, Morris Park, or Wenonah neighborhoods. Nokomis East homeowners and property owners of multi-family properties are eligible to participate in the project. NENA staff may support renters to work with their landlord to apply. Rebates are only available for existing properties, not new construction. Businesses and commercial property owners are not eligible to participate (funding source restriction).
An individual property may receive one grant within a 24 month period. Subsequent applications cannot cover the same or similar projects funded in previous applications.
Selection Process: This is a first-come, first-served project.
Application Process: In the application process, eligible participants are required to submit a project budget and cost estimates, and submit “before” photos. Applications without photos will be considered incomplete and will not have a spot reserved.
Once the application is completed, NENA staff will draft a participant contract and work can begin
PLEASE NOTE: NENA will not reimburse any expenses incurred prior to the signing of the contract.
The participant will have up to 90 days from the contract date to complete the project. If the project is not completed within the timeframe, the contract is voided and no reimbursement will be issued. The applicant in this situation may reapply for the project in twelve (12) calendar months from the date the initial contract is voided.
Rebate Payment Process: Participants are required to submit itemized receipts for all work and purchases, and submit “after” photos. NENA staff will determine if the expenses are eligible for reimbursement based upon: funding source restrictions, the signed contract requirements, and the dates of service and purchase.
NENA will not increase the reimbursement if the total cost of the project exceeds the requested amount in the contract. NENA staff may also determine the property owner did not match 50% of the total cost of the project and may reduce the amount of the reimbursement.
- Online Rebate Request Form
- Downloadable Rebate Request Form – Return by email/scan is preferred to mailing
Questions? Please contact NENA at (612) 724-5652 or email@example.com.