CALL TO ARTISTS – REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS
Nokomis East Neighborhood Association (NENA) invites artists to apply for mural painting commission
Application deadline: June 2, 2017, 12:00 p.m. at NENA
NENA will award a commission to complete a mural in August 2017 at a garage located at 5757 Sander Drive (Garage located on 58th Street S). This project is produced by NENA with support from the City of Minneapolis Health Department
NENA works to better the quality of life and build a sense of community pride by sponsoring actions which help our environment, businesses and homes.
- Engage the community through art making and art access on what makes a healthy , livable neighborhood with a lens for healthy eating, being active and tobacco-free living
- Demonstrate the community interest in creating a healthy, livable neighborhood
- Prevent graffiti
- Advance NENA’s mission
- 5757 Sander Drive (South façade of garage located on 58th Street S).
- Mural size negotiable
- Paint on existing vinyl siding OR on another surface to be hung on building
WHO IS ELEGIBLE TO APPLY
All Minnesota artists or artist teams are eligible to apply, but applications from Minneapolis community members may receive preferential consideration.
Artist(s) will be paid a total fee of $6,000 to include artist stipend and project materials. NENA will make two payments. This first payment will be for $3,500 in June when the contract is signed and one for $2,500 after the mural is completed.
SCOPE OF SERVICE
Artist will design the mural that will include community members input on what makes a healthy, livable neighborhood with a lens for healthy eating, being active and tobacco-free living. Artist will direct the production of the mural painting, prepare the site, paint the mural, and create opportunities for and engage community members to contribute to the mural painting. The artist will determine appropriate contributions for youth and/or adult volunteers that are safe to execute and produce a high quality mural. NENA will connect community volunteers with the project.
SELECTION AND PROJECT TIMELINE
June 2 Artist applications due.
June Selection committee considers applications, community input, property owner input.
June 23 Artist selection and notification.
June – Aug Artist joins NENA staff to visit the Bossen area and meet neighbors.
August 1 Mural design due date; property owner approval is sought.
August 18 Community paint day – led by artist.
August 25 Community paint day – led by artist.
HOW TO APPLY AND WHAT TO SUBMIT
This is a Request for Qualifications (RFQ). It is not necessary to submit a site-specific design or proposal. Artists will be chosen on the basis of art examples, statement of interest, qualifications in public art and creating art with volunteers, and proposals if provided.
- Your name, address, phone and email.
- Statement of interest in and suitability for this opportunity- a community engagement and mural project.
- Plan for engaging the community to determine neighborhood interests.
- Artist resume, including work with youth/community volunteers to make art.
- Art examples: 3-5 high-res jpg images total. Include completed public projects AND/OR other artwork AND/OR designs you would envision for this project.
- Identification/description (brief) of each sample image you submitted.
- 2 References that can speak to your ability to achieve project outcomes.
Email materials to Becky Timm at firstname.lastname@example.org. Materials must be received by June 2 at 12:00 p.m.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, CONTACT
Becky Timm, Executive Director
Nokomis East Neighborhood Association
4313 E. 54th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55417