Application deadline: August 22, 2019 4:00 p.m.
NENA will award a commission to complete designs for utility box wraps to be located at nine separate locations within the Nokomis East neighborhood. The designs will incorporate photos taken by Nokomis East residents into a format that is visually pleasing and representative of the surrounding community. This project is produced by NENA.
NENA works to better the quality of life and build a sense of community pride by sponsoring actions which help our environment, businesses, and homes.
OVERALL PROJECT GOALS
- Engage the community through art making and art access
- Demonstrate the community interest in creating a connected livable neighborhood
- Prevent graffiti
- Advance NENA’s mission
SCOPE OF WORK
- Create nine utility box designs utilizing photos selected in a community contest. Photos must be recognizable within the design.
- Designs must reflect the surroundings of each utility box ( ie, park, business district, school)
- Designs are formatted with the dimensions of each utility box (these measurements will be provided)
ART WRAP SITES
Utility boxes located near schools, local business districts, and high traffic intersections in Nokomis East
WHO IS ELEGIBLE TO APPLY
All Minnesota artists or artist teams are eligible to apply, but applications from Minneapolis community members may receive preferential consideration.
Artist(s) will be paid $30 an hour for up to 35 hours of work, totaling a maximum of $1,050.
SELECTION AND PROJECT TIMELINE
August 22 Artist applications due.
August 23 Artist selection and notification
August 28 Preliminary designs due
September 10 Box wrap design due date; property owner approval is sought.
September 16 Final design adjustments due, if needed
HOW TO APPLY AND WHAT TO SUBMIT
This is a Request for Qualifications (RFQ). It is not necessary to submit a site-specific design or proposal. Artists will be chosen on the basis of art examples and qualifications.
- Your name, address, phone and email.
- Artist resume
- Art examples: 3-5 high-res jpg images total of previous graphic design work
- Identification/description (brief) of each sample image you submitted.
- 2 References that can speak to your ability to achieve project outcomes.
Email materials to Lauren Hazenson at email@example.com. Materials must be received by August 22 at 4:00 p.m.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, CONTACT
Lauren Hazenson, Program and Communication Manager
Nokomis East Neighborhood Association
4313 E. 54th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55417